Maternity leave as an entrepreneur, what you need to know!
Going on maternity leave as an entrepreneur definitely caused some anxiety in me, as there was not that much information out there! Having now gone through it and soon celebrating my babies 1st birthday, I have a few things I want you to know...
If you are pregnant for the first time, there is a lot to think about and stressing about your business should not be one of them.
I personally wanted to really honor this magical transformation for me, my baby and my husband too. It was important to me to be able to slow down and be fully present for my newborn and allowing my body to heal at the same time.
So, the probably most important decision you need to make is this:
1) Will you want/need your business to run as usual and keep all the balls in the air?
2) Are you ok with it slowing down and maybe even letting a few balls drop?
(1) you will need to get support asap! Hire an assistant who can confidently step up when needed and/or a babysitter you trust. And don't leave this to the last minute, you will probably be tired AF and it's a good idea to set yourself up for success while you still have the energy. Furthermore, automate, automate, automate, this is the best time to start streamlining your process. Think autoresponders, funnels, forms, triggers, canned messages etc... This will be handy anyway once the baby is here.
(2) This is what I chose. I knew that stepping into motherhood will bring new creative flow for me and I was open and curious to let that unfold and accept that I will need to close a few doors in the process. But this also meant that my income dropped big time, especially around that 3rd trimester and I am only now - 11 months post birth - getting my grip back on things!
- Many don't realize that we can still apply for maternity pay when self-employed! This will vary depending on the country you live in, so do your research and apply as soon as you know you are expecting.
- Like I said, your income will most likely take a drop. If you are not yet pregnant or just early days, start a baby fund. Meaning open a savings account for that first year as a mama (I wish I had thought of this sooner!)
- Once you are a mommy, time will be scarce like never before! Your solution? AUTOMATION baby! Take a good look at your business now, are there any communication avenues that occur over and over again? Perhaps they can be streamlined with an autoresponder, a form or a canned message? You can set up triggers using tools such as ITTT or Zapier.
- And lastly, remember that your body is going through a massive transformation and working really hard. So, while you may not see 'results' just know that you are creating a miracle right now!
Do you have any tips to share? Leave us a comment below...